.

.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pima Air & Space Museum and the "Bone Yard"

Last week we visited the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson.  Arizona's climate is perfect for storing aircraft because of the low, low humidity.  We drive past the museum and storage yard all the time - almost daily for the last two and a half years... so we decided it was finally time to check it out.
I don't know much about aircraft, or the history of aviation... so I don't know what's cool and what's not.  I just chose these pictures to share for variety - I have a ton more that I'm sure my man would love to educate me about.
My favorite part is AMARG or the "bone yard" where the aircraft are kept in different stages of storage.  Many of the aircraft there can be reinstated and ready to go if needed.  Some of the airplanes are being stored there until sold to other countries.  And the rest are either being kept for parts or are slowly being scrapped and destroyed. 
The USAF is in control over this part of the tour.  I was disappointed about the bus ride because I naively thought we could just hop in some golf carts or something and be able to get up close or at least be able to take photographs NOT through a dirty window glare.  Oh well, it was still very cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment